Welcome to SAFN Laboratory
Our research group focuses on the fundamental understanding of formation mechanisms of various self- or directed- assemblies with nanostructures which enable unique and desired applications in biomedical, sensing, and energy materials, leading to large-quantity, low-cost manufacturing for functional nanomaterials.
- Mr. Mingze Sun and Ms. Nianci (Ivy) Zhang and Mr. Yue Bao (all BME graduates) joined SAFN in Fall 2013.
- Ms. Catherine Oliver (BME, undergraduate), Ms. Naomi Tennakoon and Mr. Nicholas Fleming (both CBE, undergraduates) joined SAFN in Fall 2013.
- The installation of the Bruker Nanostar SAXS instrument (located at IMS, UCONN) was completed in Aug, 2013.
- A research highlight of "New Design of Nanodiscs and Nano-Vesicles to Target Disease" was posted on the Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering Department News (July 24, 2013)
- Prof. Nieh delivered a presentation on "Principle & Application of Nano-Materials in Biomedical Engineering" at the 2013 summer workshop held by UCONN da Vinci Project at the School of Engineering (July 12, 2013).
- UCONN Mentor Connection Program (from 7/8 to 7/26/2013) - welcome Suzanne Hyman (Suki) to join our group.
- Prof. Nieh taught "Small Angle Neutron Scattering (SANS)" and demonstrated neutron diffraction experiment on shear alignable membranes at the12th Canadian Neutron Scattering Summer School organized by Canadian Institute of Neutron Scattering (6/3-7/2013).
- Mr. Kamil Charubin, Mr. Michael Rottier, Mr. Paul Molinaro, Ms. Victoria Drake (CBE, undergraduates) joined SAFN (June 2013).
- Prof. Nieh received the "2012-2013 Director's Award for Faculty Excellence" Polymer Program, IMS, UCONN (May 2013).
- Prof. Nieh gave an invited presentation on "Self-Assembled Lipid-Based Nanodiscs and Nanovesicles – Fundamental Understanding, Applications and Manufacturing" at the Department of Chemistry of UMass Lowell on April 4, 2013.
- Ms.Ying Liu, Ms. Hyun-Sook Jang and Prof. Nieh gave three presentations at 2013 APS March Meeting (3/18-22/2013).
- Prof. Nieh gave an invited presentation on "Controlling Nanodisc-to-Nanovesicle Formation and Implication of Its Applications" at Center for Nanophase Materials Sciences (CNMS) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory on Feb. 7, 2013.
- Prof. Nieh joined the department of BME in Spring 2013.
- Ms. Wafa Aresh (a BME graduate student) joined SAFN in Spring 2013.
- Mr. Noel Cielo (a CBE undergraduate) joined SAFN in Spring 2013.
- Mr. Ming Li returned China for physical rehabilitation on Dec 5, 2012.
- Prof. Nieh gave an invited presentation - "Self-Assembled Structures, Kinetics & Applications of a Phospholipid Mixture – Bicelle" at the Department of Chemistry, Emory University on November 28, 2012.
- Ms. Yan Xia (a CBE graduate student) joined SAFN in Fall 2012.
- An article on University Researchers Awarded Major Research Instrumentation Grant was posted on "UCONN Research News and Announcements" (Oct 15, 2012).
- NSF-MRI proposal (DMR 1228817) for acquisition of the state-of-art SAXS instrument was granted to UCONN (Aug. 27, 2012).
- Mr. Milos Atz (a CBE undergraduate) joined SAFN in Fall 2012.
- Ms. Rose (Rosy) Cersonsky (MSE undergraduate) joined SAFN in Fall 2012.
- Mr. Ming Li miraculously came out of coma on Aug. 16, 2012.
- Mr. Ming Li had a near-drowning accident and was in coma on July 19, 2012.
- Mr. Ming Li and Ms. Ying Liu presented research results at NSF-CMMI Engineering Research and Innovation Conference (on 7/12/2012).
- Ms. Hyun-Sook Jang received the "doctoral dissertation fellowship award" from Graduate school, UCONN, 02/2012. - Congratulations!
- Prof. Nieh gave an invited presentation at 2012 APS March Meeting (2/27-3/2/2012).
- Mr. Ming Li, Ms.Ying Liu and Ms. Hyun-Sook Jang gave seven presentations at 2012 APS March Meeting (2/27-3/2/2012).
- Prof. Nieh gave an invited presentation - "From Fundamental Understanding of Lipid Mixtures to Their Applications" at the Department of Physics, University of Tennessee. on Nov. 29, 2011.
- Prof. Nieh gave an invited presentation - "Kinetics of the Growth of Lipid-Based Nanodiscs" at Joint Institute for Neutron Sciences, Oak Ridge National Lab. on Nov. 28, 2011.
- NSF (CMMI 1131587) proposal entitled "Single-Step Manufacture of Affinity Nanodiscs for Drug Delivery" was granted (Aug., 9, 2011).
- Mr. Joshua Lemkin, Ms. Laurelle Giovannoli and Mr. Anthony Dizon (CBE undergraduates) joined SAFN in Fall 2011.
- Mr Ming Li received the "Best Presentation Award" at the 14th National School on Neutron and X-Ray Scattering (organized by Oak Ridge National Lab and Argonne National Lab.) during Aug. 11- 25, 2011. - Congratulations!
- Mr. Andrew Hu joined SAFN for 3-month summer co-op (summer, 2011).
- Prof. Nieh gave an invited presentation - "Self-Assembled Nano-Liposomes for Targeting Delivery" at Pharmaceutical Development group, Pfizer Inc. on Mar. 9, 2011.
- Prof. Nieh gave an invited presentation - "Neutron Scattering – an Advanced Tool for Nanoscaled Structural Characterization" at Center for Biotechnology and Interdisciplinary Studies, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute on Feb. 7, 2011.
- Ms. Ying Liu (a CMBE graduate student) joined SAFN (Spring, 2011).
- SAFN group received UCONN large faculty grant for the research entitled "Investigation on Structural Transformation from Nanodiscs to Unilamellar Vesicles" ($25,156) on Nov, 2010
- Mr. Ming Li and Ms. Hyun-Sook Jang (IMS graduate students) joined SAFN in Fall, 2010.
- Prof. Nieh started his faculty position as an associate professor at IMS/CMBE, UCONN on Aug. 22, 2010